Deploying Workspace ONE Smartfolio for iOS Devices: Workspace ONE Operational TutorialVMware Workspace ONE UEM 9.7 and later
VMware provides this operational tutorial to help you with your VMware Workspace ONE® environment.
Workspace ONE Smartfolio is a new containerized mobile app that delivers a persona-driven content experience for employees that need to access critical information on-the-job, and for organizations that have document-oriented regulatory requirements and have organization needs of publishing enterprise content and compliance auditing.
Smartfolio is especially ideal for line of business environments and for industries where immediate content access and app stability are top requirements.
This tutorial guides you through deploying Workspace ONE Smartfolio for your iOS devices.
This operational tutorial is intended for IT professionals and Workspace ONE administrators of existing production environments.
Both current and new administrators can benefit from using this tutorial. Familiarity with networking and storage in a virtual environment is assumed, including Active Directory, Windows Updates, and directory services.
Before you can perform the procedures in this exercise, verify that you have access to the following components:
- Workspace ONE UEM 9.7 and later with permissions to manage device and applications
- iOS device 11.0 and later for testing
Deploying Workspace ONE Smartfolio for iOS Devices
Workspace ONE Smartfolio is a robust and secure app that helps your organization manage and share corporate content with ease. Currently, Smartfolio is only supported on iOS devices.
In this activity, you publish the Workspace ONE Smartfolio app and configure it for your iOS devices.
Following are features of Smartfolio:
- Remotely manage, organize, and deliver critical files to the end users.
- Provide end users offline access to the documents.
- Prioritize the documents based on relevance.
- Manage security on a per-document level to meet the document-oriented regulatory requirements.
- Configure the documents for auto or manual download and collect read receipts as part of the organizational compliance policies.
Smartfolio and Content Comparison Matrix
Although there are certain similarities between Smartfolio and the features and deployment of Workspace ONE Content, there are notable differences between the two. Refer to the comparison matrix to help determine which application better suits your use case.
Logging In to the Workspace ONE UEM Console
To deploy a 3rd party macOS app, you must first log in to the Workspace ONE UEM Console.
1. Launch Chrome Browser
On your desktop, double-click the Google Chrome icon.
3. Authenticate In to the Workspace ONE UEM Console
- Enter your Username, for example,
- Click Next. After you click Next, the Password text box is displayed.
- Enter your Password, for example,
- Click Login.
Note: If you see a Captcha, be aware that it is case sensitive.
Publishing Workspace ONE Smartfolio
In this activity, you publish Workspace ONE Smartfolio using the Workspace ONE UEM Mobile Application Technology.
1. Add A New Public Application
- Click Add.
- Click Public Application.
2. Search for the Application to Add
- Select Apple iOS from the Platform drop-down menu.
Workspace ONE Smartfolioin the Name text box.
- Click Next.
3. Select the Application From the Search Results
Click Select for the Smartfolio - Workspace ONE application.
4. Assign SDK Profile
- Select the option to configure SDK settings.
- From the SDK Profile drop-down menu, select iOS Default Settings @Global.
Note: Alternatively, you can create a Custom SDK Profile and use it to configure Workspace ONE Smartfolio app.
- Click Save & Assign.
5. Add Assignment for Workspace ONE Smartfolio
Click Add Assignment.
6. Configure Workspace ONE Smartfolio Assignment Settings
- Click in the Select Assignment Groups search box. This will pop-up the list of created Assignment Groups. Enter
All Devicesand select the All Devices (firstname.lastname@example.org) Group.
- Select Auto for the App Delivery Method.
7. Configure Policies for Workspace ONE Smartfolio
- Scroll down to find the Policies section.
- Select Enabled for Managed Access.
- Select Enabled for Remove On Unenroll.
- Select Enabled for Make App MDM Managed if User Installed.
- Click Add.
8. Confirm Assignment and Save
- Confirm that the Assignment you just configured is displayed.
- Click Save & Publish.
9. Preview Assigned Devices and Publish
Configuring the UEM Managed Content Category Structure
Content categories help keep the UEM Managed repository content organized in the Workspace ONE UEM Console and the Workspace ONE Smartfolio app. In this section, you create a category structure for better content categorization.
2. Provide Category Details
- Enter the Name, for example, Admin Guides.
- Enter the Description as Admin Guides.
- Click Save.
3. Add Sub-Category
Click the + sign from the Actions column to add a subcategory.
4. Provide Sub-Category Details
- Enter the Name, for example, MCM.
- Enter the Description as MCM.
- Click Save.
5. Confirm the Category Structure
From the Categories list view,
- Expand Admin Guides.
- Validate that you have MCM listed as the sub-category.
Uploading Content to the UEM Managed Repository
In this section, you add files to the UEM Managed Content repository by manually uploading and configuring them in the Workspace ONE UEM console. The repository stores its content in the Workspace ONE UEM database by default, and syncs with the Workspace ONE Smartfolio app, delivering content to end user's devices.
1. Download the MCM Guide PDF
- Open a new tab in Chrome Browser.
- Enter the following URL to download the MCM Guide PDF:
3. Select Files
Click Select Files.
4. Select the Downloaded File
- Select Downloads.
- Select WS1_MCM_Doc.pdf.
- Click Open.
5. Assign Category
- Select the Info tab, if not already selected.
- Click into the Category search box and select Admin Guides / MCM.
6. Confirm Assignment Settings
- Select the Assignment tab.
- Ensure that you see your default Organization Group selected already.
Note: In a real-world scenario, you can select the Organization Groups and User Groups for which you want to assign this content, based on your deployment targets.
7. Configure Deployment Settings
- Select the Deployment tab.
- Select the Transfer Method as Wi-Fi only.
Note: This setting does not allow download over cellular networks reducing the cellular data consumption.
- Select the Download Type as On Demand.
Note: This setting does not automatically download the content onto the end user device; they must request the download manually.
8. Mark the Document as Required and Featured Content
- Select the Required check box.
- Select the Featured Content check box.
- Click Save.
In the next section, you enroll an iOS device with Workspace ONE UEM and install the Smartfolio app. After Smartfolio is installed, you explore the app functionality using the document previously uploaded.
Enrolling an iOS Device
In this section, enroll your iOS device in Workspace ONE UEM by installing the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub (formerly the AirWatch Agent). A Group ID is required to complete enrollment. See Retrieving Your Group ID from the Workspace ONE UEM Console.
1. Download and Install Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub from App Store (IF NEEDED)
Note: Checked out devices will likely have the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub already installed. You may skip this step if your device has the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub installed.
At this point, if you are using your own iOS device or if the device you are using does not have the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub Application installed, then install the application from the App Store.
To install the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub application from the App Store, open the App Store application and download the free Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub application.
2. Launch the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub
Launch the Hub app on the device.
3. Enter the Server URL
- Enter the Server URL
for your Workspace ONE UEM environment.
- Click Next.
Click the Server Details button.
4. Enter the Group ID for Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub
Return to the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub application on your iOS Device,
- Enter your Group ID for your Organization Group for the Group ID field.
- Tap the Next button.
Note: On an iPhone, you may have to close the keyboard by clicking Done to click the Next button.
5. Enter User Credentials
You now provide user credentials to authenticate to Workspace ONE UEM.
- Enter the Username, for example,
- Enter the Password, for exmaple,
- Tap Next.
6. Redirect to Safari and Enable MDM Enrollment in Settings
The Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub prompts you to enable Workspace Services to enroll your device into Workspace ONE UEM.
Tap Next to begin.
7. Allow Website to Open Settings (IF NEEDED)
If you are prompted to allow the website to open Settings, tap Allow.
Note: If you do not see this prompt, ignore this and continue to the next step. This prompt occurs only for iOS devices on iOS 10.3.3 or later.
8. Install the Workspace ONE MDM Profile
Tap Install in the upper-right corner of the Install Profile dialog box.
9. Install and Verify the Workspace ONE MDM Profile
Tap Install when prompted on the Install Profile dialog.
10. iOS MDM Profile Warning
You should now see the iOS Profile Installation warning explaining what this profile installation will allow on the iOS device.
Tap Install in the upper-right corner of the screen.
11. Trust the Remote Management Profile.
You should now see the iOS request to trust the source of the MDM profile.
Tap Trust when prompted at the Remote Management dialog.
12. iOS Profile Installation Complete
You should now see that the iOS Profile was successfully installed.
Tap Done in the upper-right corner of the prompt.
13. Workspace ONE UEM Enrollment Success
Your enrollment is now complete. Tap Open to navigate to the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub.
14. Accept the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub Notice
Tap Done to confirm the notice and continue.
15. Accept Notifications for Hub (IF NEEDED)
Tap Allow if you get a prompt to allow notifications for the Hub app.
16. Accept the App Installation (IF NEEDED)
You may be prompted to install a series of applications. If prompted, tap Install to accept the application installation.
18. Accept the Data Sharing Policy
Tap I Agree for the Data Sharing policy.
19. Confirm the Device Enrollment in the Hub App
Confirm that the Hub app shows the user account that you enrolled with.
You have now successfully enrolled your iOS device with Workspace ONE UEM. Continue to the next step.
Exploring Workspace ONE Smartfolio for iOS Devices
Now that you have published and configured the Workspace ONE Smartfolio app, and enrolled your iOS device into Workspace ONE UEM, you are ready to explore the features of Workspace ONE Smartfolio.
The screenshots in this section are in landscape mode, but the Smartfolio app supports both portrait and landscape mode.
Exploring the Home Tab
In this activity, you explore the Workspace ONE Smartfolio Home tab.
1. Launch the Smartfolio App
From your iOS device, tap the Smartfolio app.
2. Accept the Privacy Prompt
Tap I understand to accept the privacy prompt.
3. Accept the Data Sharing Prompt
Tap I agree to accept the Data Sharing prompt.
4. Review Workspace ONE Smartfolio Home Tab
Access all the Featured and Required Content from the Home Tab.
Tap Home if not already in the section.
5. See All Featured Content
Tap See All for Featured Content.
6. Verify MCM Guide is in the Featured Content
Verify that the WS1_MCM_DOC.pdf is listed in the Featured Content as per the Deployment Settings configured earlier.
7. Filter Based on File Types
Smartfolio supports filtering based on file types, for example, presentations, spreadsheets, video, audio, images, and so on.
- Tap the icon to view filter options.
- Select the option Images to view the files with the extensions .jpg and .png
8. Return to Home Tab
Tap Home to return to the Home Tab.
9. See All Required Content
Tap See All for Required Content.
10. Verify MCM Guide is in the Required Content
Verify that WS1_MCM_DOC.pdf is listed in the Required Content as per the Deployment Settings configured earlier.
11. Return to Home Tab
Tap Home to return to the Home Tab.
Validating the Category Structure
In this activity, you validate the category structure created in the UEM admin console. Categories and sub-categories keep your content organized and easy to find, especially when you are deploying a large number of documents. Categories are viewed as Folders in the Smartfolio app.
2. Select Admin Guides
Tap Admin Guides.
3. Validate the MCM Sub-folder
You previously created a sub-category called MCM under Admin Guides.
Tap MCM to view the contents.
4. Download WS1_MCM_DOC.pdf
You previously assigned the uploaded document to the Category Admin Guide/ MCM.
Tap WS1_MCM_DOC.pdf to download.
5. Validate your Downloads
- Tap Downloads to view all your downloaded files.
- Verify that you can see WS1_MCM_Doc.pdf in the Previously Downloaded files. Tap WS1_MCM_Doc.pdf to open the file.
Exploring Interactive Content
In this activity, you explore Workspace ONE Smartfolio interactive content. This feature allows users to quickly navigate to a particular page or a section.
1. Explore Interactive Content with Smartfolio
- Scroll down until you see Table of Contents > Chapter 7 Workspace ONE Smartfolio.
- Tap Smartfolio and Content Comparison Matrix to jump directly to that section.
2. Annotate the Comparison Table
Workspace ONE Smartfolio supports a rich set of tools for annotations. Tap anywhere on the screen to make the toolbar appear.
- Tap the Annotations icon.
- Tap the icon to select Marker.
- Tap to select color.
- Mark the desired area in the file. These markings will be saved in the file for later reference.
3. Add Custom Notes
It is very easy to add detailed Custom Notes to your files in Smartfolio.
- Tap the text icon to add a Note.
- Add your custom note to the section.
- Tap Done to save.
4. Search Content within the File
Smartfolio supports an extensive search feature, which allows you to search for particular term or a keyword within your file.
- Tap the magnifying glass to invoke the search feature.
- Type Content Gateway in the search box.
- Tap the search result to navigate straight to the result.
5. Add Bookmarks
Smartfolio allows you to create your own bookmarks for future reference.
- Tap the bookmart icon to open the Bookmarks options.
- Tap the icon to create a new bookmark.
- Tap +.
- Pick a name for your bookmark and tap Done to save.
6. Select Viewing Modes with Smartfolio
Depending on your preference, you can view files in Smartfolio in Day or Night Mode. So far, all the features and functionality have been in Light Mode. You will now switch to Night Mode.
- Tap the icon in the upper-right corner.
- Tap to select Night Mode.
7. Validate the Night Mode
Validate that you can now see the same document in Night Mode.
8. Switch Back to Day Mode
For the remainder of the tutorial, you will use Day Mode.
- Tap the icon in the upper-right corner.
- Tap to select Day Mode
- Tap Downloads to return.
Exploring the Folder Structure
In this activity, you explore the Smartfolio folder structure.
Smartfolio features a hierarchical folder structure that mimics the category structure defined in the UEM Console. Folders help organize the content and make it easy to locate files.
1. Explore the Folder Structure
Tap All Files until you see the folder structure.
2. Explore Enhanced Search
For easier access, you can also search for the file using the title. Tap the Search box.
3. Search Files using a Keyword
Flightin the search box. The results show all the files with the title containing the word "Flight."
- Tap Cancel to return to the previous screen.
4. Explore Favorites
You can also mark certain files as Favorites to access them at a later stage.
5. Mark the Document as Favorite
- Tap the menu icon to view the options.
- Tap Favorite to mark the document.
6. Test Access with Favorites Tab
- Tap Favorites.
- Validate that you can now access the file in the Favorites tab.
7. View the Recently Accessed Files
Tap Recent to revisit the most recent files. This allows you to quickly resume your work without navigating through the Folder structure.
Summary and Additional Resources
This operational tutorial provided details on configuring Workspace ONE Smartfolio for iOS.
- Publishing Workspace ONE Smartfolio
- Configuring the UEM Managed Content Category Structure
- Uploading Content to the UEM Managed Repository
- Enrolling iOS Device
- Exploring Workspace ONE Smartfolio App
Want to Get Involved in the Smartfolio Feedback Loop?
If you want to provide feedback, sign up for our continuous beta program!
Log in to the VMware Beta Portal, and under your tester profile, select Workspace ONE Smartfolio for iOS under the section that reads Please select the product(s) you are interested in testing.
For more information about Workspace ONE, explore the VMware Workspace ONE Activity Path. The activity path provides step-by-step guidance to help you level-up in your Workspace ONE knowledge. You will find everything from beginner to advanced curated assets in the form of articles, videos, and labs.
Additionally, you can check out the VMware Workspace ONE and VMware Horizon Reference Architecture which provides a framework and guidance for architecting an integrated digital workspace using VMware Workspace ONE and VMware Horizon.
For more information on Managing Windows 10 Devices with Workspace ONE, see the Understanding Windows 10 Management Activity Path .
The content in this section helps you establish a basic understanding of Windows 10 management in the following categories:
- Getting Started
- Adoption & Migration
- Device Onboarding
- Configuring Policies & Baselines
- Deploying Applications
- Updates & Patches
- Scripting & Sensors
- OEM Integrations
- Troubleshooting & Tools
- Case-Studies & Communities
Managing Windows 10 can be complicated. Let us demystify it, and make you a hero!
About the Author
This tutorial was written by:
- Shardul Navare, Senior Technical Marketing Architect, End-User Computing, VMware
Your feedback is valuable.
To comment on this tutorial, contact VMware End-User-Computing Technical Marketing at email@example.com.